This was what I made out of the cotton salvaged from an ill-fated I Do Shrug. Lesson from that one? Just because it’s a worsted gauge doesn’t mean worsted yarn works!! Regular cotton was a pretty bad choice for it too ;). Fingering weight, shiny, mercerized cotton maybe. I had thought that there was quite a bit of yarn in it, but it was pretty nail-biting along the way – that’s one of the things that gets me knitting quickly: just to see if I’m going to have enough yarn at the end!
Result? 6 yards left over! The only concession to yardage I did was to knit the button band on 4.5mm needles instead of 5mm (which I think was a pretty good idea anyway).
Other changes: I knit the body pieces from the bottom of the ribbed section up, then knit from there down after the sleeves were done, just to give me the option of unravelling a lace repeat from the bottom if I needed more yarn. I just used the lace instructions from the top half for the right and left leaning eyelets so everything was going the correct way as I was knitting upside down. I also had trouble with the decreases in the front v-neck – somehow I couldn’t get the physical piece, or the math, to work out at the pattern stated decrease-one-every-eight-rows. So I did it every 6 rows instead, and everything seems to have worked out. Other than that, pretty verbatim. Did have one problem in the end – the eyelet rib button band didn’t line up with the major structural elements of the top – so I couldn’t put on three equally spaced buttons and have them also centred around the rib section. Got two on that aren’t too far off the top and the bottom, so I left it at that.
The pattern is the “short sleeved lace cardigan”, #19 in Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 2007, with zero ease. The propensity of cotton to grow will help here too!